Friday, May 13, 2011

Senescence Photography and other news



(Since I have not posted anything very substantial in terms of writing since I started my blog I decided to email this out to my those most important to me in addition to posting this on my blog http://zamorano89.blogspot.com)

I have been playing around with an idea for a photographic website that I want to eventually design and own called senescence. I would like to submit this website to coolphotoblogs.com in order to contribute to the photoblogging community. I have made a "work-in-progress" website idea through blogger connected to the following URL  http://senescence-photography.blogspot.com/

I would love feedback on the gallery I have posted of my favorite pictures and/or the website idea.  I don't have a clue how to design a website but I bought a domain name from godaddy.com and may have my website designer friend now living in Australia host my site once I figure out the technical details.


In other news I started orientating/working in Williams Lake hospital as a Provisional Registered Nurse. What this means is that I carry a temporary license to practice as a new graduate RN who has not yet passed/written the RN exam. But basically I am working as an RN with full responsibility of the patients that are under my care each day I work. It is a bit nerve racking but the team at Cariboo Memorial Hospital is extremely supportive and my manager is one of the most hardworking people I have met.

During a meeting with my manager on my first day we went over some paperwork and talked about working as an RN on the medical/surgical floor. I am amazed at how passionate my manager is and was surprised when she showed me a simple piece of paper with nine inpatient unit values. She showed me this paper last in order to define what was truly important about working as a team member on this floor. She also emphasized that she would not have hired me if she did not believe that I represented the following values:

-Respect
-Collaboration & Teamwork
-Positive Attitude
-Mentoring
-Trust
-Community
-Quality
-Accountability
-Family & Holistic Care

She told me that if anyone on the floor, including myself or her, is not representing and working on these values there has to be communication on resolving this matter in order to maintain an equilibrium of positivity and excellence.


In addition to this experience, after morning report (where we briefly overview each patient on the ward) our manager asked us to rate our physical and emotional states on a scale from one to ten. She stated that today she was an 8-8 both physically and mentally. At our own choice to divulge this information we all sheepishly stated our state of being that morning. One co-worker stated she was a five-five half sarcastically and half seriously. I noticed that we all did our part to help her out that day and work collaboratively as a team.

After reflecting on these experience I realize how fortunate I am to be working in an area with an amazing manager and incredible co-workers who work as a true team. In an area of rural nursing where the workload is exhausting, maintaining a positive team moral is essential to keep our overworked health care providers from burning out and leaving a career that is an essential part to our communities and the general health of all Canadians. 

Gabe

1 comment:

  1. Thanx for the update, Gabe. I kind of wondered why you were so willing to go back to WL since I've heard mostly bad (or neutral)feedback from people living there. Now I think I can understand a little more what drew you to return...
    keep in touch, Ash

    ReplyDelete